Why Compost at Home?
As many as 60% of Indonesian people’s waste that ends up in the landfill is organic waste (KLHK, 2017).
The fact above is quite alarming because organic waste is an easy-to-decompose material that can be used to produce valuable things such as compost and biogas.
Due to the decomposition of organic waste, the management and transportation of organic waste require more attention. The potential for pungent odors and the growth of bacteria and fungi make transportation of organic waste must be done hygienically and quickly.
To maintain effective and efficient organic waste management, it is strongly recommended for the community to manage organic materials in the following 3 steps:
- Reduce organic waste production by preparing a daily menu at least a week in advance and shopping as needed
- Separate organic waste from other waste to maintain the good organic waste condition and to prevent it from rotting anaerobically (without oxygen) so as not to produce methane gas (CH4) which can cause ozone layer depletion
- Take advantage of the remaining organic material that is still suitable for consumption as animal feed, or process it into compost.
Waste4Change’s Solutions for Organic Waste Management:
Waste4Change provides 2 organic waste management solutions:
- Collection and recycling of organic and inorganic waste via Waste4Change’s waste collection services: Responsible Waste Management and Zero-Waste to Landfill (recommended for housings and businesses, please check the service availability areas by clicking at the link)
- Processing organic waste at home using affordable and easy-to-use Waste4Change Composting Bag
Waste4Change composts organic waste using open-windrow and Black Soldier Flies (BSF) techniques.
Waste4Change Composting Bag FAQ
Where to Buy Waste4Change Composting Bag?
The Waste4Change Composting Bag and other home composting equipment and supplies can be found at Waste4Change Composting Facility Page (Rumah Kompos Waste4Change).
Easy-Grow Compost Bag Waste4Change Specifications:
- Diameter 38cm x height 79cm
- Volume of 79 liters
- Dark green color
- Made of flexible, UV-Resistant material, suitable for narrow areas
- Enables good air exchange for compost maturation
- Strong and durable in all weather up to 5 years (depending on usage)
- Harvest door/ window with velcro cover located at the bottom
- Top cover added with side zipper
Types of waste (that are recommended) to be processed into compost using Waste4Change Composting Bag (chop/ cut first to speed up the composting process):
|Brown Waste||Green Waste||Do Not Compost|
Complete information about the composition of organic waste for compost and the types of waste that are not recommended for composting, can be checked in the article Home-Composting: Your Organic Waste Solution.
How to use Composting Bag Waste4Change:
- Prepare the following 2 types of ingredients: Material A: Start compost (dry condition) or soil, Material B: Household organic waste, it is recommended not to include waste that contains animal protein, oil, fat, and a mixture of chemical products such as soy sauce, sauce, and flavoring.
- Place Material A evenly in the bottom of the bag for about 1kg.
- Place Material B evenly over Material A about 2.5kg.
- Fill materials A and B alternately with specifications number 2 and 3.
- Each time you fill In Material B, always cover it again with Material A evenly.
- Stir it every 7 days.
- If it looks dry, do watering using / EM4 / MOL (EM4 and MOL can be purchased at the nearest garden tools store).
- If it looks wet / welled, add Material A evenly.
- If you follow the steps above, compost can be harvested for about 30 days.
Suggestions for placement and use of Waste4Change Composting Bag
- Due to the material of Waste4Change Composting Bag which allows air to enter and exit properly while still maintaining a stable temperature so that the composting runs optimally, the composting process will produce liquid compost seepage. Therefore, the composting bag is recommended to be placed on the ground, or if you want it to be placed on the floor or in the house, you can use a tray that is emptied and cleaned every day.
- If you want to keep the compost from inviting pests and fly larvae, it is advisable not to include animal protein, oil, fat, and a mixture of chemical products such as soy sauce, sauce, and flavoring in the organic waste. For complete information on what organic waste is recommended for processing into compost, you can check Home-Composting: Your Organic Waste Solution.
- To prevent mouse interference, it is recommended not to include animal protein and dairy products that can cause strong odors. Also make sure the composition of brown and green waste uses a 2: 1 ratio to reduce odors.
What composting equipment is provided by Waste4Change?
- Composting Bag / Easy-Grow Compost Bag
- Compost Starter
- Equipment and supplies for the organic waste process using the Black Soldier Flies Method, ranging from cages, eggs, to larvae (BSF larvae are high in protein and can be used as animal feed, for example, catfish feed)
The latest information on composting equipment provided by Waste4Change can be found at the Waste4Change Composting Facility Page (Rumah Kompos Waste4Change).
Happy composting! Send your questions about home-composting tips and techniques to our social media or leave it in the comments!